Nairobi, Kenya – November 14, 2025 — President William Ruto has issued fresh assurance to Junior Secondary School (JSS) teachers, promising a definitive solution on their employment status amid growing anxiety over their expiring contracts.
The Head of State addressed the matter following increased public pressure from thousands of JSS teachers working under internship terms. The teachers have been demanding permanent and pensionable employment as the Competence-Based Education (CBE) curriculum continues to expand.
Rising Concerns as Contracts Near Expiry
Over 20,000 JSS intern teachers are staring at the end of their contracts, heightening fears of job loss. Many have accused the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) of delaying their confirmation despite earlier promises.

Teachers argue that they were assured of permanent terms after completing one year of service, but many have now served nearly two years without official confirmation.
“We have given our full commitment to JSS learners. All we want is job security, as was promised,” said one teacher in Nairobi.
Background of the Internship Controversy
The issue gained national attention in June 2024 when JSS teachers held a nationwide strike to demand fair terms. The walkout forced the Budget and Appropriations Committee to intervene.
The committee chairperson at the time, Ndindi Nyoro (Kiharu MP), instructed TSC to hire all JSS interns permanently, stating that the government had already allocated the necessary funds in the 2024/2025 Financial Year.
According to a related update published earlier on KenyanTeachers.com, MPs insisted that the funds were ring-fenced and should not be diverted.
Despite that, TSC did not effect the mass confirmation. Instead, the teachers continued under internship contracts, leading to renewed unrest this year.
Growing Demand for Autonomy in JSS
Besides job security, JSS teachers have been calling for full administrative autonomy. They want separation from both primary and senior secondary school systems, arguing that the current placement undermines their professional identity and management structure.

The push for autonomy has become more vocal in 2025, especially with the full rollout of the new CBE curriculum across schools.
Ruto Speaks on the Issue
While addressing education stakeholders earlier this week, President Ruto said the government was working on a “final and lasting solution” for all JSS teachers.
“I want to assure our JSS teachers that their issue is receiving the highest level of attention. We will ensure the correct framework is put in place,” the President said.
His remarks revived a promise he made in 2024, where he assured that all JSS teachers would transition to permanent and pensionable terms before the end of that year — a commitment that was never fully implemented.
What Happens Next?
Education experts say that failing to confirm JSS teachers could destabilize the CBE rollout, especially as learners progress to higher levels. Schools rely heavily on JSS teachers for the new curriculum’s specialised subjects.
Sources indicate that consultations between State House, the Ministry of Education, and TSC are underway to create a phased absorption plan. However, no official timeline has been revealed.
Teachers’ unions have already threatened another strike should the contracts lapse without confirmation.

Latest Official Update
As of today, the Teachers Service Commission has not issued a formal statement on the fate of the 20,000 JSS teachers. The Ministry of Education has also not responded to the latest concerns.
